Bruttium, Croton. c. 350-330 BC

Bruttium, Croton. c. 350-330 BC

1,100.00

Pedigree: This coin is accompanied by a ticket that suggests it was part of the Garrett Collection, however, the cataloguer has found that it does not appear to be in the catalog from 1984. Nonetheless it could still be part of the collection that was not pictured and therefore it deserves mentioning. Furthermore, it was sold to the owner as ex-Garrett Collection.

AR Nomos, 7.58g (23mm, 7h). Eagle, with wings displayed and head raised, standing left on olive branch / KPO, tripod; in right field, Δ. Some graffiti not noted before on reverse between 1h and 3h (TIAVOΣ?)

References: SNG ANS 361; HN Italy 2172

Grade: Struck from worn dies on the obverse and slightly off-center. A beautiful iridescence on both obverse and reverse. Cabinet toning. Attractive VF  (gk1075)

Scroll down for more information about this coin.

Add To Cart
 

Sometimes the owner of a coin warrants special mention. In this case, this coin was owned by John Work Garrett (1872-1942). For those interested in pedigrees the ancients portion of the Garrett collection was auctioned off in parts through NFA and Bank Leu in 1984 and 1985. Garrett’s collection was not started by him, rather was a family initiative begun by his father, T. Harrison Garrett. The Garretts (father and sons) were avid collector of coins, as well as rare books and manuscripts among other things. His grandfather and namesake, John Work Garrett (1820-1884) was a resident of Baltimore; a banker and worked in the railroad business, specifically the foundation of the B&O Railroad. His close friendship with businessman Johns Hopkins resulted in enormous wealth. The senior Garrett was influential in the establishment of Peabody Institute and Johns Hopkins University.

Mr. Garrett became very close with the American Numismatic Society in the later years of his life and gifted coins to them from time to time. Following Garrett’s death in 1942, Johns Hopkins University was bequeathed the majority of the collection. For security reasons they kept the collection, which was largely U.S. coins, in a bank vault. After several years and a natural disconnection from the collection due to proximity, the purpose of the collection was questioned.  This led to its being auctioned off beginning in 1976 by Stack’s Bowers which realized around $25 million. The final portion of ancient coins came to NFA and Bank Leu in 1984/1985.